About the Client
The client assists their customers to facilitate data transformation efforts by helping them manage and protect their data, keep track of network connected devices and control their Microsoft platforms and hybrid environments. They also help ensure compliance and governor each identity across the enterprise.
The client was looking to add more security features to operate SharePoint Online and on-premise. They needed the login process to be rigorous, but at the same time, it should be convenient and not slow down the day-to-day operations of the employees. In particular, they requested to implement the OAuth 2.0 protocol which would allow for more advanced sign-in options such as two-factor authentication, SSO and many others.
Softwarium added support for the OAuth 2.0 token when working with SharePoint Online. This opened the door for allowing the client to use the Microsoft Graph API. SharePoint OAuth Authentication also allowed employees to log in via browser connection which does all of the dirty work such as generating the authentication token, the verification codes and other information necessary to log in. This included adding support for the Authentication App registration when the connection to the target is done via browser since this is what generates the token. This means that even if an employee performs the browser authentication and the application is not found by the target login, we automatically do this for them. All they have to do is click a checkbox confirming that it is them. This also applies to GCC HIgh tenants which is used by government organizations and contains sensitive information.
Besides SharePoint OAuth Authentication, there was a number of additional benefits offered to the client in this release:
- Support for Scripted Pac proxy was added when working with Office 365 Commercial, GCCH, On-Prem SharePoint (2010,2013,2016,2019)
- Added support for bulk and fast migration between SharePoint Online locations
- Added functionalities to send emails with automatically generated migration status reports to informs user about migration result in user-friendly view
- Added support for SharePoint Workflows and SharePoint Site Collections/Sites Features migration
- Add functionality to create user mapping reports between Office 365 tenants